Girls Varsity‎ > ‎Schedule‎ > ‎

State Championship 2013

Girls' hockey final: It's Greely, with a goal in overtime

By Kevin Thomas
Staff Writer

LEWISTON — With 39 shots, Greely couldn't put the puck past Scarborough goalie Devan Kane.

click image to enlarge

Mary Morrison, right, hugs Chesley Andrews after scoring the overtime goal Saturday night that gave Greely its second straight girls’ hockey state championship with a 1-0 victory against Scarborough at Lewiston.

Photos by Tim Greenway/Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

Game over, championship won, and as the Greely girls’ hockey players celebrated, Riley McKeown and goalie Devan Kane of Scarborough knew a good fight had been in vain.

This is what the Rangers needed: a scrum in front of the net with several players blocking Kane, and the puck on the stick of a terrific shooter like Mary Morrison.

And that's what Greely got in overtime. Morrison fired through the throng and scored 3:44 into the extra period to give Greely a 1-0 victory Saturday night for the girls' hockey state championship at the Colisee.

Greely (18-2-1), which also won last year, became the first team to win two state titles in the five-year history of the sport. Scarborough (18-2-1) made its first appearance in the final.

The Rangers outshot Scarborough 40-17, but Kane kept the Red Storm in it with 39 saves. Maura Perry had 17 saves for Greely.

Sarah Kurland and Etta Copenhagen assisted on the goal.

"Devan's an amazing goalie," Morrison said. "We kept the puck in their zone, pressuring their defense."

In overtime, Perry stopped long-range shots from Alyssa Hulst and Kristen Murray. Morrison brought the puck up and fired. Kane blocked it but the Rangers kept possession.

Soon, a crowd gathered in front. Meanwhile, Morrison skated alone into the slot.

"Sarah made a great rush to the net and she went in for the rebound," Morrison said. "Etta was there, saw me and made a great pass. I was moving in. I saw an opening to the net."

Morrison fired.

"There were bodies everywhere and it was hard to see," Kane said. "I was already down and I saw the puck at the last second -- right between the pad and the glove -- right where you want to shoot it."

The goal showcased what Greely has done this year -- play shutdown defense while possessing the puck constantly in the opponent's end.

"They cycle the whole game," Greely Coach Nate Guerin said. "They work hard to get that puck and they don't want to give it away. It showed."

But to get a goal Saturday, "it was through traffic," Guerin said. "It's what we needed."

What Scarborough needed was better control with the puck.

"I think we were trying too much and it caught up with us," Red Storm Coach Caitlin Cashman said. "I think if we got more shots on net it would have generated more opportunities. But I think we were a little hyped up."

Scarborough, which tied Gree-ly 2-2 during the season despite being outshot 40-14, began the game on its heels. The Rangers, led by forwards Paige Tuller and Meg Finlay created chances. Greely outshot Scarborough 14-1 in the first period.

"We were playing physical and intense," Scarborough forward Sarah Martens said. "But we got kind of flustered in our defensive zone and sometimes we weren't picking up players. That's when we got in trouble."

Kane kept the game scoreless and Scarborough began picking up the offense in the second period. But the Red Storm couldn't create traffic in front nor get any rebounds. And Perry, a first-year goalie, kept her position.

"She's been great and the team defense around her has been great," Guerin said.

Perry made 10 saves in the second, four in the third and two early ones in overtime.

Then Greely got the puck and attacked again.

"We had to get a dirty goal," Tuller said. "We kept shooting and crashing the net. Finally we got (Kane) screened and Mary made an awesome shot."

Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be reached at 791-6411 or: